A father's message from beyond the grave
Ever wondered what it is like to have Death staring straight in your eyes? Is there anything you will like to do or change before you draw your last breath? What if you have a family with young children and perhaps some precious time left? What would you do?
Here’s a sad but true story to be shared, about a loving dad and husband, who did what he could in the little time he was left for his family. From their country cottage filled with memories of Mandy Flanagan’s late husband Paul, she shared with us their story.
Paul, a teacher, who died of cancer at the age of 45 in November 2009, passionately believed his children, Thomas and Lucy, should have more than just fading photographs to remember him by. For the children were only five and one-and-half years old at the time of his passing. “There was nothing more important to Paul than being the best father he could be,” says Mandy.
“When he knew he was dying, there was no time for self-pity. He became absolutely focused on doing whatever he could to continue being a good dad to them throughout the years, even though he wouldn’t be here in person.”
Amongst his preparation included letters, filmed messages, future birthday presents and his personal chest of favorite books. “Each book is accompanied by a note to Thomas and Lucy explaining why Paul loved it, and how much he hopes they will too when they’re old enough to read it,” explains Mandy.
But perhaps all these gifts pales in comparison to a document titled “On finding fulfillment”, accidentally discovered on his laptop by Mandy. “I opened it and, with tears rolling down my cheeks, I discovered his bullet-pointed code to living a good and happy life,” says Mandy. And this list of 28 instructions was the very way Paul lived his life.
Addressing his children who were too young to understand the tragedy that was unfolding, Paul writes, ”In these last few weeks, following my terminal diagnosis, I have searched my soul and heart to find ways in which I can reach out to you as you grow up.
“I’ve been thinking about the matters in life that are important, and the values and aspirations that make people happy and successful. In my view, and you may well have your own ideas by now, the formula is pretty simple.
“The three most important virtues are: Loyalty, integrity and moral courage. If you aspire, friends will respect you, employers will retain you, and your father will be immensely proud of you. I am therefore giving you several pieces of advice. These are the principles on which I have tried to build my life and they are exactly those that I would have encouraged you to embrace, had I been able to.” “I love you very much. Never forget that.”
“He also wrote that they should never give up, and he certainly never did. He fought so bravely, so courageously, right to the end.”
Having been first diagnosed with skin cancer in 2004, where a birthmark on his chest had become malignant. The cancer was removed in November that year when their son Thomas was only a few months old. And after years of regular follow-ups, he was given the all clear in January 2008 when Mandy was expecting Lucy.
However a swelling that appears in May 2008 proved the cancer had spread to his lymph glands in his arms and neck shortly after. Even surgery and radiotherapy was not able to halt its progression. By March 2009, the cancer had spread to his brain and his condition was terminal.
“He never pitied himself,” says Mandy. “The diagnosis, and perhaps the drugs he was on, triggered a sort of mania. He suddenly had so much energy. While I lay awake upstairs worrying, Paul would work through the nights, determined to get his affairs in order.”
Having meticulously organized the family finances, arranged his own funeral, buying presents for their children, their dining room was soon filled piles of shoeboxes filled with paperwork, hand-written letters and DVD messages for his family and friends.
With Lucy christened last summer, she now has one godmother and nine godfathers. “He wanted his friends to have a permanent tie to his family, I think,” says Mandy. “And if Lucy couldn’t have her father, a fantastic team of godfathers was the very least she deserved.”
With his passing at home, some eight months after his terminal diagnosis, Mandy was certain he’ll be able to rest peacefully knowing that he had left the best legacy any father could. “When some people are told they have just a few months to live, they decide their life won’t be complete until they’ve bungee-jumped off Sydney Harbor Bridge or seen the Grand Canyon. But that wasn’t Paul. All that was important to him was right here. He lived and died by his own rules, and I know he had found his fulfillment.”
We all have a finite amount of time in this world, some less than others. And it is not the amount of time, rather how we use it which truly matters. Ever so often we get absorbed by our daily rat race and tend to take our loved ones for granted. Perhaps it is time we slow down and re-examine ourselves before it is too late.
A FATHER'S RULES FOR FINDING FULFILLMENT
Be kind, considerate and compassionate when others are in trouble, even if you have problems of your own. Others will admire your selflessness and will help you in due course.
Show moral courage. Do what is right, even if that makes you unpopular. I always thought it important to be able to look at myself in the shaving mirror every morning and not feel guilt or remorse. I depart this world with a pretty clear conscience.
Show humility. Stand your ground but pause to reflect on what the other side are saying, and back off when you know you are wrong. Never worry about losing face. That only happens when you are pig-headed.
Learn from your mistakes. You will make plenty so use them as a learning tool. If you keep making the same mistake or run into a problem, you’re doing something wrong.
Avoid disparaging someone to a third party; it is only you who will look bad. If you have a problem with someone, tell them face to face.
Hold fire! If someone crosses you, don’t react immediately. Once you say something it can never be taken back, and most people deserve a second chance.
Have fun. If this involves taking risks, so be it. If you get caught, hold your hands up.
Give to charity and help those who are less fortunate than yourselves: it’s easy and so rewarding.
Always look on the upside! The glass is half full, never half empty. Every adversity has a silver lining if you seek it out.
Make it your instinct always to say ‘yes’. Look for reasons to do something, not reasons to say no. Your friends will cherish you for that.
Be canny: you will get more of what you want if you can give someone more of what they desire. Compromise can be king.
Always accept a party invitation. You may not want to go, but they want you there. Show them courtesy and respect.
Never ever let a friend down. I would bury bodies for my friends, if they asked me to . . . which is why I have chosen them carefully.
Always tip for good service. It shows respect. But never reward poor service. Poor service is insulting.
Always treat those you meet as your social equal, whether they are above or below your station in life. For those above you, show due deference, but don’t be a sycophant.
Always respect age, as age equals wisdom.
Be prepared to put the interests of your sibling first.
Be proud of who you are and where you come from, but open your mind to other cultures and languages. When you begin to travel (as I hope you will), you’ll learn that your place in the world is both vital and insignificant. Don’t get too big for your breeches.
Be ambitious, but not nakedly so. Be prepared to back your assertions with craftsmanship and hard work.
Live every day to its full: do something that makes you smile or laugh, and avoid procrastination.
Give of your best at school. Some teachers forget that pupils need incentives. So if your teacher doesn’t give you one, devise your own.
Always pay the most you can afford. Never skimp on hotels, clothing, shoes, make-up or jewellery. But always look for a deal. You get what you pay for.
Never give up! My two little soldiers have no dad, but you are brave, big-hearted, fit and strong. You are also loved by an immensely kind and supportive team of family and friends. You make your own good fortune, my children, so battle on.
Never feel sorry for yourself, or at least don’t do it for long. Crying doesn’t make things better.
Look after your body and it will look after you.
Learn a language, or at least try. Never engage a person abroad in conversation without first greeting them in their own language; by all means ask if they speak English!
And finally, cherish your mother, and take very good care of her.
I love you both with all my heart.
Enjoyed this article? “Like” it on Facebook and drop us a comment!
Most Read Articles
- The Red-Haired Samurai
- The Mortal Instruments in Motion
- OPM’s Not Dead
- Modern-Day Cyber Services
- Samsung and Apple: The Ongoing War
- DIY: Five Important Cleaning Solutions to Keep Around the House
- The Legend of Harry Potter
- Forced Timeline: Yay or Nay?
- Share If You Care. The Big Confusion
- The Galaxy S3’s Climb Up The Market
- Gangnam Style: The Global Style
- Copyright vs. Copy – right?
- See what everyone's playing!
- Beer: The Life Saver
- The Pound Sign In 2012
- Cloudy With No Chance of File Loss
- Diablo III: The First Three Months
- 5 Ways To Class Up Your Party Alcohol
- How To Stay Fit And Healthy Without Too Much Effort
- 5 Do-It-Yourself Gift Ideas for Any Occasion
- OS War: Android and Jellybean
- Instagram: The Social Impact
- 5 Life-Hacking Tips to Keep Handy
- Turo-turo: The Guide to the 5 Most Common Filipino Street Food
- 5 Ways To Hype Up A Party For Less
- Braving the Storm: The Survival Kit
- Your friendly neighbor Ariel needs help!
- 3 New Neighbors in The Household!
- Win FREE GEMS this weekend!
- Stay online and get rewarded!
- Gold-Consume Event in July
- KABUTO NOW AVAILABLE!
- Win FREE GEMS for The Household!
- New free virtual world – Little Space Heroes
- 7 Handy Life Skills to Pick Up from YouTube
- 7 Childhood Games to Relive on Your iPhone
- Topup Bonus this week! July 5-11
- Login Rewards is Back!
- Winners of the Eurocup Event!
- 5 Free Anti-virus Programs for Everyone
- 5 Signs Of A Cheating Wife
- 6 Tips to a DIY Home Desktop
- 10 Games To Spend Your Mid Year Hols On
- Social Poker Games a Contributor to Singapore’s Gambling Problems?
- Playing Diablo III Like a Boss on an Old Computer
- 10 Awesome Cakes for Eating (or Not…)
- The Origins Of Gaming Console Names
- Do passcodes really keep your phone safe?
- 7 Cool Things to do with your iPad 3
- 10 Tips for Playing Poker Online
- How to build a network of online gaming friends
- 10 Essential Free Software Every New Computer Should Have
- Diablo III to launch without PVP
- Facebook Usage Associated with Poor Grades in School?
- The World’s 5 Best Gaming Meccas
- 8 Fun Puzzle Games For Anyone
- Top 7 Paid Apps for Smart Phones
- 6 Internet Scams to Look Out For
- 10 Horrible things people do on public transport
- The Guarded Secret To Boosting Your Child’s IQ
- A Filipino Star’s Story: Charice’s Rise to Fame
- A Preview of Nintendo’s Latest Console: The Wii U
- Football Fans Win All-Expenses Paid Trip to Catch EPL Live Action
- Ipad 3 Sneak Peek
- 5 Massages to Help Relax Your Tired Eyes
- Rumours about your favourite console
- Singapore Stewardess’ Hotel Room Pictures Leaked
- 10 Great Restaurants for a Valentine’s on a Budget
- The Galaxy Note or the iPhone 4S?
- Khan Wars : Deathmatch
- A Cancer Patient's Message of Love
10 Entertaining Apps for your iPhone
- Lady Popular: Love is in the air!
- 5 Famous Social Media-lites
- 8 Home Appliances Your Computer Can Replace
- Is Singapore’s Internet Generation Plagued with Low Self-Esteem and Frustration?
Autistic Girl Smarter than Most of Us?
- Rising Gamer Girls of 2012
- 5 Cool Alternative Tablets to Your Ipad2 At CES 2012
- Lady Popular: Fashion Diaries Event
- The iPhone 4S: 4 Common Problems and Solutions
- 5 Holiday Suggestions for the Chinese New Year weekend
- Tips for A Successful Facebook Page
- 20 Games You’ve Got to Play Before the World Ends
- 5 Tips to Shopping Safely Online
- Things that slow your PC down
- Fun Gadgets to Blow Your Year-End Bonus On
- Singapore’s Most Controversial Internet Incidences of 2011
Most Discussed Singaporean Social Media Topics in 2011
- Get Paid for Playing Games
- 5 Reasons to be Friends with Your Significant Other
- 5 Big Facebook & Twitter Changes to Look Out For in 2012
- Lady Popular: Holiday Dress Up Event
- Lady Popular - Fashion Around The World
- 8 Gifts for Gamers
- 5 Tips To Spending A Happy Gaming Holiday
- Does Singapore need three-year-olds to be online?
Singapore-Malaysia Rivalry Deepens with Spotgamers Tournament Victories
- 5 Games That Your Girlfriend Will Like
3 Addictive Social Games to Look Out For!
Games On Phone!
- Darth Vader Invades Odessa For Parking Space
- A Look Back on Nokia’s Legacy
6 Smartphone Apps to Help Organize Your Life
- Lady Popular: Wedding After Dark
- Should You Buy Assassin’s Creed Revelations?
- Is World of Warcraft Declining in Popularity?
- Singapore Gaming’s YouTube Generation
- Long Awaited Elder Scrolls Game Finally Hits Stores
- Social Media – A Double Edged Sword
- “Natural” Blue Eyes For Singaporeans?
- New Naruto Based Game?
- Is This Game What Naruto Fans Really Want?
- MDA’s Games Solution Centre – bane or boon?
- Razer Singapore’s 24hr Charity Gaming Marathon – The Good and the Bad
- Canada Cup 2011: Keeping the faith in Singapore’s Street Fighter 4 Team
- Five Cool Games to Come Out of Singapore
- iPhone’s Top Competitors in 2012
- 10 Big Games to Look Out For in 2012
Great News For Shards Of The Dreams Fans!
- What's New In The iPhone 5?
- Secret Tactics To Help You Get A MRT Seat!
Awesome Gaming? You Decide.
- Lady Popular: A Halloween Special Event
- The Secret That Married Women Aren't Telling You
- Why Do Bullies Bully?
- 5 ways to know if you have adult ADHD
- Deaf Woman Finally Hears for the First Time
- Mariah Slick, Student With Down Syndrome, Crowned Homecoming Queen
- Playing Favorites: Why Mom Likes You (or One of Your Siblings) Best
- Facebook Charging In 2011: Chain Letter Spreads False Rumor
- ROCK BOTTOM Casual Game Prices!
- 50 things all college students must know
- FoldIt Gamers Solve AIDS Puzzle that Baffled Scientists For More Than A Decade
- 3 Lessons for Parenting in the Digital Age
- 3 things you do everyday that are actually addictions
Invite Friends And Earn Mcash!
- 3 ways that coffee gives you Superpowers
- Plink Blog Contest Winner Named! Find Out Who..
- 5 Healthier Alternatives to Potato Chips
- Addicted to Angry Birds? Here's Help!
- Girl sits next to boyfriend's body in-flight for 9 hours: Find out why
- The 5 types of women that men should avoid
- ‘Twitter Terrorists’ could get up to 30 years jail time
- 5 ways to let go of a grudge
- Clever Dolphins Use Shells to Catch Fish
- Sleeping around gave early humans immune boost from Neanderthals
- MatchMove Games Resort World Promo – Congratulations Minh Dat!
- New IBM Computer Chip Mimics the Human Brain
- REVEALED: The Surprising Science of Smiles
- Bad Spelling and Grammar Can Hold You Back in Your Career
- Disturbing trend shows Asian women rejecting marriage
- THE NINJA CATS ACADEMY WANTS YOU!
- The Secret to Raising Tall Kids
- Why do males have shorter life spans? They try too hard to impress the females.
- Move over Planking! Here's Horsemanning!
- How Do Students Use Technology?
- Children as young as 5 hospitalized for eating disorders
- Basic Self-Defensive Moves Anyone Can Do (and Everyone Should Know)
- iPhone 5 Rumour: Leaked case suggests 'radical' redesign
A father's message from beyond the grave
- 6 Cheap Date Ideas That Couples will Love
- You should be getting more followers on Twitter! Find out how
- Study Says Internet Use Affects Our Memory
- Large Forks May Curb Eating, Study Shows
- [WARNING] Oslo Bombing Video is a Facebook Scam
- Groupon Sued for Privacy Policies
- Fake Apple Stores found in Kunming, China
- It’s the end for Google Labs
- Kissing and Cuddling More Important to Men
- [INFOGRAPHIC] Do You Care What People Say about You Online?
15 Keyboard Shortcuts That Will Enhance Your PC Productivity
- Google+: The Pros & Cons
- Write A Blog Post About Plink! And Stand To Win An iPad 2!
- In search of the Phoenix
- Whole Food Replacements for Junk Food
- TSA Agent caught stealing $50k in electronics; Stuffs iPad down pants
- Facebook Scam Pretends to Connect You with Video Calling
- 5 tips for writing a complaint letter that companies will ACTUALLY reply to
- Play Resort World & Win An iPad 2!
- About Casual Game Guides
- Top 20 Most Googled Women In The World – And Bieber?
- Your PC Will Die If You Don't Do These 5 Things
- 5 Clever Ways to Get a Job Using Social Media
- What Effects Do Violent Video Games Actually Have on Youths?
- How To Surf Facebook Without Your Boss Knowing
- Digital Content To Replace Textbooks By 2015
- Tokyo researchers hijack your hand, will help you play musical instruments
- Upgrade to iOS 5 today, without any developer account
- Humans may have magnetic "Sixth Sense"
- Have you seen The Mini Warbler?
- Japan creates computerised pop idol, sells candy
- The Inspirational Story of Nick Vujicic
- CityVille faces huge new challenger in Big Business
- Scientists Create First Memory Expansion for Brain
- Missing Friend Preserved in Ice
- Dropbox Security Breach Raises Questions
- On a Diet? Watch Out For These 12 Foods
- Pottermore Unveiled
- Google Wants to Manage Your Online Identity - Will You Let It?
- Groupon – A bad deal for small businesses?
- Friday No More?
- iPod Magic - Tricks and Deceptions
- How to Stop Facebook from Using the Facial Recognition Feature on You
- Flash Mobs: Social Phenomenon Gone Bad
- The Hows and Whys of Computer Hacking
- How to Avoid Being an Easy Target While on Holiday
- The Vancouver Riot Kissing Couple Identified
- "A Gay Girl in Damascus" apologizes for hoax
- REVEALED: What sugar actually does to your brain and body
- Wanna know what's new in iOS5?
- 10 Personal Details Revealed by Bill Gates — Including 1 Secret
- 5 regrets people have on their deathbeds
- Unusual hobby: Hiking Nude in Germany
- Facebook CEO Is Eating Only The Meat He Kills
- Catch a computer thief with Hidden app
- 15 year-old’s Bucket List goes viral
- The Quarterlife Crisis
- Make New Friends From Your Country!
- Top 8 Reasons to Take a Gap Year
- Top 10 Android Multiplayer Games
- 'GAME' returns for 5th season with new host Kelly Latimer joining the 'Fraggot' on STAR Sports
- Surviving the Modern Day Breakup
- Chinese Prisoners Forced into MMO Gold Farming
- Selling your phone? Ensure personal security in a few simple steps
- Video games being blamed for divorce as men 'prefer World of Warcraft to their wives'
- First Look: A Sneak Peek at Microsoft's New Windows 8
- IE Flaw Could Allow Hackers Access to Your Facebook, Gmail, Twitter Accounts
- Gaming: 50 Years in the Future
- New Features on MatchMove Games!
- Facebook Scams You Need To Know About: The 9 Most Common Hacks and Attacks
- Train your brain in just 20 minutes a day
- “Garrison of Moriah” - a 250,000-Brick Lego Empire
- 4 Ways That Apple Can Blunt Google Android
- 5 Foreign Phrases to Help You Get Lucky
- The CDC Says: Be Prepared for a Zombie Apocalypse
- The Blind Man Who Taught Himself to See With His Ears
- Class of 2011: Are you ready for life? [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Battle At F-Stop Ridge [Trending Video]
- 11 Tips for Feeling Happier at Work
- Get Abs Like Gerard Butler in Only 6 Minutes [Body Hacks]
- Bin Laden Compound Now a Virtual Training Ground for Commandos ; Also a Playable CounterStrike Map
- MAFIA PK TOURNAMENT WINNERS ANNOUNCEMENT
- Choosing between a Google Chromebook and an Apple iPad 2?
- Scientists cure cancer, ignored by big pharma companies - Fact or Fiction?
- More new games have hit our shores!
- MAFIA: Minutes to Midnight
- Personal Finance Basics for Young Adults: 4 Tips to build a Bulletproof System
The 5 Hottest Female Gamers in Asia
- Find your stolen phone, in new-fangled geeky ways
- First Look: The Stars of X-Men: First Class
- Get 2x Kcoins When You Top Up!
- Pet Party 50% OFF Mega SALE!
- 8 Hot New Game Releases
- South Park Scare Tactic: Read Apple's Terms and Conditions - Or Else
School’s Starting – Where You Can Get Free Textbooks Online, and Save Thousands Throughout College
- Fukushima Nuclear Plant Created Using Fallout 3 Mod: Too Early?
- YouTube Launching Movie-On-Demand Service
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Trailer - Now Online [VIDEO]
- Cool YouTube Find: Woman Makes Origami Crane With Her Tongue
- The Top 10 Retro Games You Can Still Play Today
- 3 Amazing Feats You Never Thought Was Possible With Microsoft Software
- Recent Mass UFO Sightings: Proof That Extraterrestrial Life Exists?
- Free Cloud Tools That Will Dramatically Improve Your Life
- T-Mobile Spoofs the Royal Wedding
Want to look like Rain? The #1 Most Effective Workout Routine for Lazy People
- MAFIA – War Has Begun
- Pick Up Your Colleague in 4 Simple Steps (And Avoid Personal Embarrassment)
- Rovio’s Vesterbacka Defends Mobile Games
- Wanted: Power Rancher
- Pet Party Summer Heat Screenshot Contest!
- 7 of the Hottest, Geekiest Guys on TV
- Green Lantern: Trailer and Movie Footage
- Upcoming Cosplay Events in the Philippines: Who You Can Meet, and Where to Find Them
- Lethal, Local, Deadly Ladies: The PMS Clan
- Why Singapore needs a Kickstarter:
- How to Speed Up Your PC
- Inspirational Video: This Guy Will Own You at Street Fighter with His Mouth
- Top 10 iPhone Games of All Time
- Anonymous Declares War on Sony
- Top 5 Insane Zombie Elimination Strategies
- Jennifer Aniston Mocks Viral Videos, Makes Her Own
- The 5 Hottest Geek Girls on the Internet
- 4 of the Best Things That Bejeweled Taught Me About Life
- Mafia: Make Your Stand on 20 April 2011
- Obsessed: Staggering statistics of Facebook Usage
- Presenting: The Babes of Sucker Punch
- Awesome James Bond Spy Gadgets You Can Own
- Lithe, Hot, Geek Gamers: The Frag Dolls
- Love at first Raid: a Relationship Forged Online
- 5 New Ways Video Games Help You Lose Weight
- Breaking News: 5 New Games You Need to Check Out
- Mind Control: Now Possible
- Getting Even: The #1 Way to Deal With Your Game-Obsessed Boyfriend
- Giving Back to Japan: How Gamers Are Doing Their Part
- 5 Celebrities You’d Never Expect to be Gamers
- Play to Your Strengths: 4 Ways Games Can Train You to Become a Better Manager
- Playing Games Makes You Stupid! Do Games Even Have Any Redeeming Qualities?
- 5 Simple Steps to Enhancing Your Personal Brand
- Have You Always Wanted To Be a top Poker player?
- Living Legacies: How Games From the Past Are Influencing Your Life Today
- How to Improve Brain Power: Two Essential Areas to Look At
- Jane McGonigal: Gaming Can Make a Better World
- Having a Hard Time With Your Essays? Break the Writer’s Block!
- More amazing game titles now available on Game Club!
- Healthy Gaming Tips Issue 1
- 4 Gaming Lessons That Might Just Get You That Big Promotion
- Lady Popular: Love is in the air!
- MatchMove Games Superstar Contest Results
- Breaking the Monkeysphere: Social Relationships in a Wired World
- Pet Party Giveaway!